Circle Time: Caring For Earth
PlanToys Circle Time: Caring for Earth
What You Can Do To Make the World a Better Place
Welcome to another day of PlanToys Circle Time! This series acts as a virtual session of in-school Circle Time, where children and teachers participate in a guided discussion.
The subject of today's Circle Time session is caring for Earth. To celebrate Earth Month, we're sharing tips and inspiration on how children and their families can participate in a better world.
How To Get Children Involved
Changing and world can seem like a monumental task! It's important to remember that all humans on Earth play a role in its health and happiness. Find ways that you can do your part to contribute to the planet's well-being and inspire others to do the same.
Children enjoy helping and finding ways in which they can discover their independence. By having children actively participate in a better world, they'll develop their independence, self-confidence and start healthy habits at an early age.
Work together to create a list that includes daily tasks and larger goals that you can accomplish independently, and as a family. Consider the following when making your list:
- What are your family's sustainable goals at home and on a larger scale?
- How can you combine sustainability with your daily activities?
- How can you keep everyone in your home invested in long-term goals?
- What is a fun, sustainable-minded activity that everyone will enjoy?
Start at Home
Transform your plans into action! You can make impactful changes to the planet by starting small at home. Sometimes it could help to leave ourselves or others a friendly reminder.
|Reduce & Recycle
|Inspire Others At Home
Need a little more guidance of where to get started? Click here to calculate your carbon footprint.
Form a Sustainable Community
Litter is a threat to our environment, wildlife, and people. When litter is not disposed of properly, it travels to forests and oceans, making it more difficult to remove.
Recruit friends, family, and community members to help you make a difference on a larger scale. Litter clean-ups are a great way to bring people together while making the community a safe and more beautiful place for everyone to enjoy - for wildlife especially.
- Decide on a location, date, and time.
- If you're hosting a larger event, (50+ volunteers) ensure have permission from the county to host your cleanup and that you're well informed on all safety regulations.
- Announce your mission! Post on social media and reach out to your contacts directly to let them know all the details of the cleanup. Encourage them to continue to spread the word.
Click here to read more about hosting a beach cleanup, including everything you'll need to know about the proper disposal of trash.
Develop a Lasting Plan
One of the most meaningful changes you can make is to rethink your approach to consumerism, especially for clothing and toys.
The average US consumer disposes of 81.5 pounds of clothes yearly, totaling an estimated 11.3 million tons of textile waste. Clothing becomes unwanted of for various reasons: a change of fit, style, or interests, with many being worn little to not at all. Only 12% of clothes are recycled due to the inconsistency and nature of the materials.
Statistics show that children will play with a single toy for a maximum of 6 months. The toy industry alone produces 40 tons of plastic toys. Approximately 90% of the toys in the US are composed of plastic. 80% of these toys end up in landfills due to a lack of interest from children as they age.
|Shop With Sustainable-minded Companies
|Purchase With Intention
|Host A Yard Sale or Clothing Swap
|Trade In Gently Used Toys & Shop Secondhand
|Join a Toy Rental Subscription
|Rehome and Inspire
We hope this information has inspired you to do your part in creating a better world for your generation, and many generations to come! The Earth is our ultimate home. Let's shower her with as much love as we possibly can!
- Green Living
- Eco Friendly Habits: Sustainable Living: 65 Ways You Can Start
- The Genius of Play: 4 Tips to Raise Earth-Conscious Kids
- Environment: How You Can Help Build a Sustainable Community
- Sustainable Play Preschool: Composting With Kids
- Treehugger: Sustainable Solutions For Old Toys
- Good To Know: 9 Reasons Why Wooden Toys Are Better Than Plastic